Installing a temporary crown on a tooth is a multi-step process that can take several weeks or months. What to do with a tooth during this period? While the prosthesis will be made, it can be replaced by a non-permanent. This stage of prosthetics cannot be ignored, because its functional value is very important.
Its main functions:
- Restores short-term functions of the tooth.
- In cases where the nerve has not been removed, such a crown will dull the sensitivity of the dental tissues, that is, their susceptibility to temperature extremes and other irritants.
- Ensures the preservation of diction.
- Prevents infection from entering the area of the prepared dental tissue.
- Prevents the growth of gum tissue on the tooth.
- Fixes a tooth, prevents it from loosening and shifting to the sides.
- Accelerates the process of getting used to the artificial product.
Provisional prostheses should have such qualities as: hypoallergenicity, the ability to adjust during use, ease of removal if necessary. Self-hardening plastic meets all these requirements.
Two methods are used to create crowns:
The direct method means constructions made directly in the oral cavity and in the dental office. The whole procedure is performed in the following sequence:
- The mold was originally made.
- While the mass is solidifying, the dentist is turning the dental tissue.
- Pour plastic of the selected color into the hardened cavity and immediately fix it at the future location.
- After the impression is taken, and on the tooth there remains a plastic mass of the desired size and shape.
- At the end, it is ground and polished, and the whole structure is fixed using special cementing glue.
With the indirect method after taking the impression, the production of the prosthesis takes place in the laboratory. This process takes longer, but the design will be more robust and accurate.
To set the tabs served until replaced by permanent, there are several rules:
- Temporary cement is not very strong, so do not eat sticky and viscous products – they can peel the installed material.
- Try to chew less where the prosthesis is placed.
- Perform oral hygiene carefully.
If the temporary crown has fallen out, then you should contact the dentist as soon as possible to re-fix it. It is not recommended to sleep with the detached element in your mouth, you can swallow it accidentally.
If you need to put a temporary crown in Minsk, please contact our clinic “Dudko and Sons”. We have our own dental laboratory, and for the manufacture of prostheses we use only high-quality materials.