A home whitening system is usually purchased to enhance the effect of previously performed whitening whitening lamp in the clinic. Mouthguards are reusable – you need to buy only the gel. This method is convenient in that it can be carried out at home, at work and wherever it is convenient for you. It does not require a visit to the dentist. Already after 2 applications, you can see the effect of the procedure.
- A visit to the doctor is a must. It will determine the next steps.
- Cure caries, seal all existing cavities.
- Cure all dental diseases, if any.
- For an ideal result, you can pre-carry out professional oral hygiene: ultrasonic cleaning of stones and deposits.
Contraindications for home teeth whitening:
- Systemic diseases of the oral cavity.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Nicotine addiction.
- Thinning of tooth enamel: pathological or age-related.
- Discoloration is a violation of the coloring of the surface, expressed as white or brownish-bluish spots.
- Restoration carried out in the smile zone.
- Open wounds, ulcers on the mucosa.
- The period of wearing braces.
- Young age: Not recommended for children under 18.
Ways to whiten teeth at home.
- Home remedies;
- Using specialized toothpastes.
Teeth whitening with trays
Teeth whitening caps are tanks prepared or made according to the patient’s casts, inside of which a gel is added that dissolves microparticles of deposits in the surface layer of enamel.
The speed of manipulation is low: the minimum wearing period is 3 weeks. It is necessary to walk with a mouth guard from 2 to 8 hours a day, leaving them overnight. The main component is hydrogen peroxide or urea, with a concentration of 6-9% or 10-15%, respectively. Please note that the active substance is not safe for gums and mucous membranes: with prolonged exposure, chemical burns are likely to occur. Immediately after dressing, you need to wipe off the excess with a napkin. As for the bleach itself, pay attention to the composition and carefully read the instructions for use. Misuse or abuse will lead to injury and destruction of the coating of the teeth.
Which whitening tray to choose?
There are three types: standard, thermoplastic and personal.
The first type can be purchased at a pharmacy. Whitening caps “Opalescence Go” with 6% hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient – their brightest representative. You can buy them in a large pharmacy or online store. They have several universal sizes, do not fit, do not require a visit to the dentist, but are not so comfortable to wear – they always need to be held with your teeth – otherwise they just fall off. Also, you can not throw back and lower your head so that the gel does not flow out.
The second, before dressing, are lowered into hot water and take the shape of a jaw already in the mouth. Under the influence of heat in the mouth, they quickly lose their shape and because. made of thin thermoplastic – fragile and extremely short-lived.
The third option is the best. According to the casts of the patient’s teeth in the dental laboratory, a durable and accurate personal mouth guard is made from high-quality materials. She sits firmly on the teeth, you can fully talk. Its service life is about three years. Whitening gel, such as Opalescence 10%, based on carbamide peroxide, is available from the pharmacy as needed.
Production of whitening trays:
- An impression of both jaws is taken.
- A dental technician in the dental laboratory is making a plaster model.
and finalized manually, taking into account the volume required for the gel.
- A plastic cap is produced using a vacuum apparatus. The material is chemically inert and sufficiently resistant to mechanical stress. All unnecessary dental technician removes manually to make the device as safe as possible.