What is an eliner?
- is a removable orthodontic apparatus, which is a special mouth guard made of polycarbonate.
Eliners are used to correct the position of teeth in humans. Aligners were first invented by the American company Align Technology in 1998. The first experiments with the production of eliners were actually owned by SCHEU-DENTAL, which already 50 years ago came up with a vacuumformer (pressformer), with which it became possible to manufacture the eliners.
The design of the product provides weak constant pressure on the tooth, causing the resorption of the bone tissue of the alveoli in the direction of movement of the tooth and the formation of bone tissue in the opposite direction. As a result of this, a gradual movement of the tooth along a predetermined path is provided without the use of traditional bracket systems
The choice of various options for correction of the occlusion and position of the teeth must be done in accordance with the opinion and recommendations of the orthodontist dentist on the basis of the examination, which allows you to determine the cause and severity of the anomaly. Only a specialist can correctly select exactly the solution that will be aimed at the patient’s recovery.
Advantages over a traditional bracket system
- It is more aesthetic because it is transparent and has a small thickness;
- Customized manufacturing according to patient’s casts;
- This product is in contact with the crown of the teeth on all sides, which improves control over the movement of teeth;
- Simplified oral hygiene, as the device is removable;
- Less trauma to the soft tissues of the oral cavity;
- Reduced appointment time with an orthodontist;
- The ability to see the final result (at the stage of manufacturing a virtual model – set-up).
Production of eliners in Minsk
Products are made using the technology of thermoforming in apparatus for pressing under pressure or under vacuum, using polymer plates of various thicknesses, which, when heated, acquire plasticity and allow duplication of real or simulated objects of various shapes by pressing in the apparatus. In this case, the object of duplication is plaster, composite or plastic models of the jaws, made according to individual casts of the patient.
To place an order for the manufacture of eliners, the doctor must fulfill the following prerequisites:
- Remove impressions from polyvinylsiloxane material (A-silicone) on plastic spoons. It will be working prints..
- Remove diagnostic impressions from any impression material, make diagnostic gypsum models (any type of gypsum).
- Make an occlusal template (from any material).
- Prepare an orthopantomogram (on any medium – paper or electronic) – a prerequisite: teleradiograph in lateral / direct projection – at the request of the orthodontist of the manufacturer;
- Send 4 (four) photographs of the patient’s face (shoulders, ears not covered by hair should be visible):
- Fas without a smile;
- Fas with a smile;
- Profile without a smile;
- Profile with a smile.
- Occlusal surface of the upper dentition;
- Occlusal surface of the lower dentition;
- Closed dentition in habitual occlusion on the right, left, front.
An orthodontist technologist evaluates each clinical case for the possibility of using eliners. After an affirmative answer, the working casts are sent to production, where they are either scanned or dynamic plastic models are made on them (depending on the technology used by the firm).
Indications and contraindications for use
- The crowded position of the teeth is not more than 6 mm;
- Tooth inclinations;
- Tooth rotation;
- Impaired dentition;
- Creating a place for dental implants;
- Tooth alveolar elongation, shortening;
- Gaps between teeth.
- Skeletal forms of anomalies of the dentition;
- Periodontal disease in the acute phase;
- TMJ Disease;
- Alveolar bone tissue destruction at 1/2 tooth root length;
- Hard dental deposits;
- Retarded teeth;
- Severe somatic diseases;